Hi guys, we are going to continue with the configuration of EmguCV. So far, we have downloaded EmguCV and Visual Studio. If you haven’t looked at the first part of this tutorial, you can find it here.
Step 4: Configure Visual Studio 2015
You can work with Visual Studio with a trial account. However, I highly recommend to create you Windows account (it’s free!). This will allow you to continue using Visual Studio after the trial version time expires. Once you have created your account, we can proceede with the configuration of the IDE.
Create a New Project
- Open Visual Studio 2015.
- In the Start Page, select New Project….
- Select Windows Form Application and give a Name to the project.
- Press the OK button.
Enable the Configuration Manager
It may be that this feature is not enabled in your Visual Studio. Therefore, first we need to enable it.
- Go to Tools \ Options. This will open a new window.
- In this window, enable the Show all settings option, which can be found at the bottom.
- Afterwards, in the menu displayed at the left, select Projects and Solutions.
- Now in the right side, we can enable Show advanced build configurations. Now press the Ok button.
Select the Project Platform
- On the right side of the IDE, we can find the Solution, which is the fancy name Visual Studio gives to a project. Right-click on the Solution, and select Configuration Manager.
- When a windows pops up, select Platform, and New. This wil open a new window.
- In this window, select x64 and press the OK button.
- Now we have returned to the first window that came up. In the Active solution platform, you can notice that it has changed to x64. Now click on the Close button.
Verify Build Options
- Again go to the right side of the IDE. Right-click on the Project, and select Properties.
- Once a new window opens, select the tab Build.
- In the option Configuration, select Debug and in Platform x64. If they were already selected, close the window. Otherwise, press the Save All button (located at the top of the IDE) and close the window.
- Move to the Solution Explorer (right side of the IDE) and select Add References.
- In the new window, select Browse.
- We need to include some files that are in the EmguCV folder. The files are located at C:\emgucv\emgucv3.1\bin and are
- Once we have selected these files, press the OK button. Now we have included the main dll files needed for our first Computer Vision application!
Add new items for the Toolbox
- Go to the right side of the IDE and open the Toolbox Menu. There right-click on the menu and select Choose Items.
- Once a new windows comes up, select Browse.
- We need to select fo the .dll file named EmguCV.UI.dll. This file will be located in C:\emgucv\emgucv3.0\bin. Once we have selected the click, press the OK button.
- In the ToolBoxMenu we will found new Items. This are needed to display the elements such as Histogram and Image Boxes. Now we are ready to start our application!